8/28 – Red Bank Man Sentenced in 2011 Fatal Stabbing

August 28, 2014

By John Burton

RED BANK – Two borough men were sentenced to prison terms on Tuesday for their roles in the stabbing death of a borough man on the west side in 2011.

Jose Olivares-Palma, 26, was sentenced to 14 years in Superior Court in Freehold for stabbing to death Larry Yarborough, 39, according to the Monmouth County Prosecutor’s Office.

Olivares-Palma had pleaded guilty on May 5 to charges of first degree aggravated manslaughter and second degree aggravated assault.

Along with Olivare-Palma, co-defendant Gennaro Guerrero-Montes, 22, was sentenced to six years for his May 5 guilty plea of second degree aggravated assault.

Olivares-Palma’s sentence is subject to the state’s No Early Release Act, requiring him to serve a minimum of 85 percent of his sentence – 11 years, 10 months and 28 days – before being considered for parole, according to the prosecutor’s office.

Yarborough’s death occurred on Aug. 7, 2011, on Bank Street. Police responded to a call of an altercation occurring at a Bank Street residence, where officers discover Yarborough suffering from multiple stab wounds, and subsequently succumbed to his injuries; and a second victim, Manuel Rosas-Oceloti who had been stabbed once, authorities said. Rosas-Oceloti recovered from his injuries.

A joint investigation conducted by the prosecutor’s office and Red Bank Police determined that the victims and their friends had become embroiled in a dispute with the defendants and their friends, which erupted into violence.

As the fight broke out, Olivares-Palma and Guerrero-Montes got knives and the stabbed the victims before fleeing the scene, authorities said.

If you liked this story, you’ll love our newspaper. Click here to subscribe



You may also like