Henry Hudson Trail Segment Contractor Announced

August 1, 2016
Print Friendly

NEWS-ATLANTICHIGHLANDS-TRAIL2 By Joseph Sapia

AN OCEAN COUNTY company has won a contract to restore an Atlantic Highlands section of the Henry Hudson Trail destroyed in 2012’s Super Storm Sandy.

The Monmouth County Board of Recreation Commissioners recently awarded the contract to the low-bidder, Compass Construction of Plumsted. Compass bid $881,677.

In October 2012, Sandy’s 14-foot surge destroyed the wooden walkway and trail surfacing, along with the bluff, on a 1-1/4-mile section of the trail from the Atlantic Highlands Municipal Harbor to Popamora Point on the Atlantic Highlands-Highlands boundary. The restoration work will include diverting runoff to Sandy Hook Bay under the trail to protect against erosion, resurfacing the trail with both pavement and stone dust, and rebuilding the walkway with prefabricated concrete.

The work is to be completed in 100 days, but the actual start date, expected to be in September or October, has yet to be determined, said Joseph Sardonia, supervising landscape architect for the Monmouth County Park System.

NEWS-ATLANTICHIGHLANDS-TRAIL1The county received eight bids for the project, with the highest at about $1.6 million. The county had estimated the project to cost $900,000 to $1 million.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) will reimburse the county 80 percent of the cost, or about $705,342, with the county and Atlantic Highlands splitting the remaining 20 percent, or about $88,168 each.

The trail has remained open, but in what the Park System has described as a “primitive condition” of compacted soil. During the re-construction, that portion of the trail is to be closed.

The Henry Hudson Trail runs for about 28 miles, using a combination of roads and unused railroad right-of-ways between Sandy Hook and Freehold. From Sandy Hook to Aberdeen, the trail also is known as the Bayshore Trail.

Flood Insurance Break For Sea Bright

If you liked this story, you’ll love our newspaper. Click here to subscribe

You may also like

Social

Archives