By Jay Cook |
TRENTON – Start bracing for detours.
The state Department of Transportation announced last week the largest monetary endowment to roadway repair projects in state history, totaling over $161 million to 505 towns across the state.
Ten towns in the Two River area applied for and received state financial assistance for over $3.3 million in different roadways projects.
“Not only will these projects ensure roadways throughout the district are safe and navigable, they will not have any negative impact on property taxes – a key concern for Monmouth County families,” said state Sen. Vin Gopal (D-11) in a statement. Gopal represents Red Bank and Shrewsbury boroughs.
A news release from Gov. Phil Murphy’s office said the program increased from $78.75 million last year to $161 million this year. He credited the increase of the Transportation Trust Fund to the influx of funds available.
Here’s a list of the 10 towns and their associated roadway improvements.
- Fair Haven: $350,000 for improvements to Battin Road.
- Holmdel: $180,000 for the reconstruction of Middletown Road.
- Little Silver: $160,000 for improvements to sidewalks along Willow Drive (also County Route 13B)
- Middletown: $350,000 for Phase 2 of the Tindall Road resurfacing project.
- Monmouth Beach: $534,078 for improvements to sidewalks along Ocean Avenue.
- Oceanport: $350,000 for Phase 2 of Main Street repairs and also redesigning its intersection with Oceanport Avenue.
- Red Bank: $350,000 for improvements to White Street.
- Rumson: $534,079 for Phase 2 of curb and sidewalk improvements to East River Road and Ridge Road.
- Sea Bright: $187,000 for improvements to Church Street and East New Street; part of the Sea Bright Road Program.
- Shrewsbury Borough: $350,000 for improvements to Obre Place.
This article was first published in the March 1-8, 2018 print edition of The Two River Times.
If you liked this story, you’ll love our newspaper. Click here to subscribe
You may also like
By Elizabeth Wulfhorst | RUMSON – What kind of p...
By Christina Johnson | FAIR HAVEN – When SadieJ...